Transport and housing account an important percentage of urban contamination. Transport and housing account an important percentage of urban pollution and energy intensive so cities have important challenges in order to reduce urban pollution and energy consumption.
Recent Directive 2012/27/UE on energy efficiency, recognizing that buildings account for 40% of final energy consumption in the European Union requires Member States long-term strategy aimed at mobilizing investment in the renovation of residential and commercial buildings, to improve the overall energy efficiency of the housing.
In the years to come, States and Municipalities should implement actions for new models of planning and housing specially for housing rehabilitation in order to adapt housing to energy saving requirements by means insulation of buildings, adapting heating and power supply facilities.
But rehabilitation for saving energy will not suffice;, the cities challenge is to become an energy:
-Buildings can change from consuming to producing energy
-Cities can reduce energy use and increase energy production
-Net nil balance can be achieved
-Energy production – Energy use = 0
To address these challenges, urban/spatial planning should be an important tool to promote new requirements of buildings, rehabilitation of neighbourhoods or buildings to improve energy efficiency, sustainable urban mobility, urban design, including urban land uses that allow new forms of urban energy production.
According to these challenges for planning, the Workshop will propose to young planners four possible project topics: Young planners will be able to presents both researches and projects which show or highlight:
– How planning can help to deliver sustainable energy solutions?
– How spatial planning can promote buildings rehabilitation to adapt it to energy efficiency.
– Can spatial planning create the Energy Neutral City’?
– How spatial planning can promote design of cities -morphology of plots, model of housings- in order to avoid private transport?
– New tools that allow integrated rehabilitation of adapting buildings for energy efficiency: ways of financing, utilities, buildings owners participation in the preparation of plans and projects.
The contents of the projects must pay particular attention to:
-strategies, tools and instruments for integration of spatial planning and sustainable energies
-detailed possibilities for implementation of sustainable energy supply and infrastructure in spatial planning at regional and local level
-stakeholder inclusion, participation processes and communication
ECTP Young Planners Workshop Chair